Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Olivia's first day of school...finally!






Finally! It's Olivia's turn to start kindergarten. Now that does not mean I was excited for her to go, I have been dreading this day for 5 years! Don't get me wrong, I am excited for her to have all the adventures and make lots of friends and show everyone how very smart she is, but it just doesn't seem fair that we get them for 5 short years and then they take them away from us for a good majority of the day. However, Olivia was beyond thrilled to start school. She picked out her outfit and how she wanted her hair. She packed and unpacked and repacked her backpack, laid everything carefully out and then couldn't sleep for a long time that night before.
The next morning, she was up before everyone else, her clothes on and sitting at the breakfast table anxious to get going. We even left for school extra early so that we would have time for all the first day pictures. "Just one more, just one more. Okay, one more. This is the last one, I promise. Okay, just this one last one!" I did great the whole time, walked her into her class, watched to make sure she could get down her chair and find her cubby - just so I knew she'd be alright, talked to her teacher one last time and then there was nothing else to do but wave goodbye and leave her there. The last bell rang and the kids all gathered to the carpet as they were asked, and she turned and with a "Go mom, I'll be just fine!" smile, joined the other kids and turned away from me. That's when I lost it. Cried all the way home. Sobbing, chest heaving, cries. Yes, I did the ugly cry! I think they should hand out big signs for us to wear home that say "Just dropped off my kindergartener". But maybe the swollen, leaking eyes say the same thing! I'll be fine, and I know Olivia will too! Do well, Baby Girl, we're cheering for you!

1 comment:

Aubrey's Outlet said...

That was so sweet! I got a little misty myself when I read about her saying "Go Mom, I will be just fine." WOW that was so grown up of her. But really she could think about you, right? I guess she just had bigger things to worry about. Like who was going to become her best friend and what color of carpet she was going to sit on! Well I know this is no suprise but I just love your kids!