Monday, June 15, 2009

The Happiest Girl in the World!


For all of you parents who have children with a "favorite" anything, you will understand this story.
Each of our children have a particular blanket they are attached to. Olivia was given hers when she was born and it has become tattered and dingy over the years, but nothing is as sweet to her. About a week ago it disappeared. We have searched frantically in the middle of the nights and every nook and cranny in our house by days. Each morning I have been greeted with "did you find it last night?", and each time I have to say "No, but we'll keep looking." I had almost come to the conclusion that it was gone, and through her tears of "It's lost forever" I found myself promising that we would get a new "blankie", whatever one that would make her happy. But I knew it would never be the same. The funny thing is I think I was almost as sad to see it go.
Tonight as we did one last search of every place we had looked a thousand times, we found ourselves in prayer. Please. Please help us find this blanket. We continued to look, before our final goodbye and preparing for our hunt for a new one during our shopping trip tomorrow. John called Olivia to the back door, and he held out her blankie to her. He had had the thought to look in a large diaper box we had put into the recycling can several days before. She was so happy she just beamed! I was almost in tears. Okay, I know that's silly but I was so relieved for her. The funny thing is, tomorrow is garbage day. Her blanket was literally hours from being gone forever. As she snuggled in bed with her prized possession (I will wash it tomorrow, it was inside a clean box, and for tonight I won't make her sleep without it again), she smiled up at me between yawns and said "Heavenly Father listened to us didn't He? He helped Daddy to know where my blanket was." Yes, Sweetheart. He did listen to you. And He provided a lesson that will build a testimony. And that is a reason for tears.

1 comment:

World's Luckiest Grandma said...

Olivia, princess grandma is sooo happy for you. I know that you love you blankie and I'm so happy that you got it back and that you learned that Heavenly Father DOES answer prayers. This brought tears to my eyes.
I love you all