Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Nutcracker













I have waited for five years for the opportunity to take Olivia to see the Nutcracker at Christmas time. Every year on the Saturday of the matinee, which children under the age of five are allowed to attend, we cut down our Christmas tree. So going to the matinee has not been an option. This year, Olivia is five and "legal" to go to the evening performances. I think I was more excited to go than she was, and she was really excited, so that's saying something! She looked like a princess in her sparkly new Christmas dress, saved just for the occasion and crowned with her tiara. She received many compliments! She was thrilled to see that her cousin Kaitlyn would be sitting with us. Our seats were perfect in the mezzanine with a complete view of the full stage. Olivia has been taking ballet this past year with the Cache Valley School of Ballet, and she was so excited when she saw her beautiful ballet teacher come on stage to dance several of the major parts. She clapped her hands and exclaimed "Oh, there is Miss Becky!" so loudly that I had to shoosh her. She was able to have her picture taken with her teacher after the performance. The girls were so good! I was a bit worried that they would get bored without speaking parts, but they both just sat on the edge of their seats and watched with enthusiasm. We ended the evening with hot chocolate and pie. It was such a fun night! I look forward to making this a yearly tradition, and in five years, taking our new baby girl with us. Maybe someday both of our little girls can even dance in the Nutcracker themselves! I know Olivia dreams of this!

1 comment:

Liz said...

OH great, I didn;t even think about you having another Princess oh man! j/k I bet that you both had fun and it was cool to watch, you both looks soooo cute